Trending Gel Nail Polish Colors & Nail art design in 2022 | Wonder Nails & Spa Las Vegas, NV 89149
Why do people love Gel Nail Polish more than Regular Nail Polish?
The selection of nail polish services has exploded in the recent decade. Gel nail polish is a novel alternative to acrylics and traditional nail polishes. So what's the difference between regular nail polish and gel polish?
The main difference between gel vs regular nail polish is that gel polish needs to be cured under a UV or LED lamp, while regular nail polish is dried naturally. Gel polishes cannot dry naturally.
Here are the differences:
Regular Nail Polish Pros & Cons:
- Early use of natural materials such as beeswax and dyes eventually evolved into the classic nail polish known and loved by generations. Regular polish, which can be found at any drugstore or beauty site, is easy to apply and quick to change with your mood.
- Regular nail polish has been a cultural staple for as long as people have wanted to color their nails.
- A thin coat of colored lacquer over your natural nail may last a few days before it chips with the option to add a base coat or top coat. Chipped nail polish suggests you need a new hue.
- Simply put, applying regular nail polish is easy and fast. Mistakes made during the nail painting process can be quickly fixed by dabbing acetone and reapplying the nail polish.
- Unfortunately, ease of use and availability doesn’t mean regular nail polish is without its drawbacks.
- In traditional nail lacquers, a long list of complicated chemicals finds its way into a bottle. From the base to the colorants to the various ingredients that allow this classic shine, nail polish has a complicated recipe.
- Moreover, regular nail lacquers take impressively long to dry. After you apply your nail polish, you have to let it dry for at least half an hour.
- The difficulty is in remembering that you have to keep your nails from getting tarnished in activities you unconsciously engage in, like putting your hands in your pocket while it's drying.
- Even if you can wait long enough for your nails to dry perfectly, your new polish can chip within days.
- If you’re incredibly lucky, or you’re one of a few experts who have discovered the secret to a blemish-free mani, you might not be familiar with this struggle. But if you were reminded of that amazing blue polish that matched your dress perfectly and then smudged an hour after application or chipped the day before your event, gel polish may be the savior you're looking for.
MAKING THE SWITCH TO GEL NAIL POLISH
Gel nail polish has only been on the market since 2010. Still, the gel manicure has quickly become a salon staple. For those who are hesitant to try gel polishes, these are their benefits:
QUICK TO DRY
Gel polish is thicker than ordinary nail polish. The primary feature distinguishing it from a classic manicure is that gel nail polish doesn't dry naturally. Gel polishes need to be cured under a UV or LED lamp in order for the gel polish to dry.
Curing refers to placing your nails under an LED or UV light to activate the chemical process that dries each coat of gel polish. With gel nail polish, you can leave your appointment or after applying at-home with flawlessly dry nails.
With a quick-drying, durable formula, gel-painted nails hardly chip. Your gel manicure is resistant to chipping or smudging, and the gel color will stay as bright and shiny as it was on day one.
While gel polish is generally said to last at least two weeks, your gel manicure may last as long as one month — or as long as you want to keep it. The only long-term side effect of wearing gel nails for a while is that your nail will eventually grow out.
Removing gel nails is a slightly longer and more complicated process than removing regular lacquer, but the ability to get a manicure done once is worth the time it takes to remove.
Explore the trending Gel Nail Polish colors in 2022
One of our most asked questions on social media is, “What color is that nail polish?” Both of us are big fans of gel/shellac nails – they don’t chip and as mamas, we don’t have time to get a mani every week, so gel is the best solution. It stays on for 2 weeks (or more), and always looks great. We’ve rounded up our top 10 favorite gel polish colors for you, enjoy!
1. CND “Creekside”
2. IBD “I’m No Damsel”
3. CND “Field Fox”
4. CND “Cityscape”
5. CND “Plum Paisley”
6. OPI “Funny Bunny”
7. OPI “Don’t Bossa Nova Me Around”
8. CND “Cake Pop”
9. OPI “Malaga Wine”
10. CND “Romantique”
FAQs most common questions about Gel Nail Polish
HOW MUCH STRONGER IS GEL NAIL POLISH VS. REGULAR POLISH?
Gel polish lasts between 2-3 weeks at the minimum, while the regular polish is lucky to go a week without chipping. With light wear, your gel nails last at least twice as long as a normal polish, but realistically they get you four to six times a standard manicure mileage.
In terms of wear and tear, the gel polish will not chip the way regular polish is known to. If applied correctly, it is also not likely to smudge. The strength of gel polish is most visible in its removal process since you'll need to be deliberate when removing it.
DOES GEL NAIL POLISH RUIN YOUR NAILS?
No. Since gel polish applies to your natural nail, unlike fake nails, which are glued on top of your nail, it will not cause any permanent damage. While you will want to be careful to properly remove your gel nails, with proper maintenance, your natural nails will not sustain any lasting harm.
The best way to remove gel nails is to go to a salon and have the process done by a professional or to use a gel polish remover.
That said, you can also do it at home fairly easily if you are familiar with the steps. Simply soak the nails in 100% acetone for at least 10 minutes. Then, the edges should start to lift, and with gentle nudging from a cuticle pusher, the gel polish should come right off.
Another important part when using gel nail polish is to let your nails rest between applications. A common misconception is that this step is necessary because the nails need to breathe.
While this isn't the case — nails are made of keratin just like hair, and therefore don't need to breathe the way skin does — it's true that your nails will need a gel break from time to time.
With proper time allotted between manicures to restore your nail beds, using gel polish will have no harmful effects on your natural nails.
IS GEL NAIL POLISH FAKE NAILS?
No. This is a common misconception. Acrylics are what are usually referred to as fake nails. Acrylics apply on top of your natural nail, usually with some type of glue or adhesive, and can be harmful if worn frequently.
On the other hand, gel polish is a real polish applied to your natural nail. It can look as dramatic as a fake nail or as subtle as professional normal polish. Gel polish does not damage your nails the way fake nails can, despite their long-lasting formula.
IS IT BETTER TO REMOVE GEL POLISH AT HOME OR AT THE SALON?
It's generally recommended that a professional nail technician remove your gel polish (Wonder Nails & Spa Las Vegas is the best nail salon in Centennial Hills, Las Vegas, NV 89149), but that doesn’t mean you can’t do it as an at-home DIY. The process will look very similar either way you choose. Here are the steps:
- First, soak your nails in acetone. This will mean dipping your hands in an acetone bath, or soaking cotton balls in 100% acetone, applying them to each finger, and securing them with foil.
- Let your nails soak like this for at least 10 minutes. You may need to wait a little bit longer, but you’ll know the process is taking effect once the edges of your polish start to lift naturally.
- Then, remove the foil or take your hands out of the acetone bath. Using a cuticle pusher or similar tool, gently push the gel, and your polish should slide right off. If it doesn’t, you may need to soak it for a bit longer.
- Some residual polish may remain on your nails. Buffer any excess color with a nail file or buffer.
- Finally, hydrate your nails by applying cuticle oil. This process can be tiring for your nail beds, so make sure they have time to rest between gel polish applications.
Whether you choose to remove your gel nails at home or at the salon, it is worth knowing the steps to this process. Sometimes even the professionals may be rushed or use incorrect techniques. Paying attention to this process is definitely worth the health of your nails.
SHOULD I USE A UV LIGHT OR LED LIGHT TO CURE GEL POLISH?
Either is fine. Which curing light you use for your nails depends on two criteria: your preference and the type of gel polish. Gel polish can be made in two different ways — UV-cured or LED-cured.
That said it's important to note that LED lights are less harmful to your skin due to not using UV rays. If you plan to use gel polish regularly, it may be worth considering an LED light instead, so make sure that LED can cure your favorite polish.
Which cure lamp do you choose, protecting your skin beforehand is always a good idea especially if you're planning to do your nails often. There are special gel manicure gloves you can wear to protect the skin around your nails, or use the traditional UV-ray protection method: apply lots of SPF.
IS MY SKIN SAFE FROM GETTING GEL MANICURES?
Yes. The cure lamps used to dry each coat will expose your skin to additional stress, but that doesn't mean you can't protect yourself.
If you have the choice, LED curing will be better for your skin than UV.
Whichever curing option you choose, find a broad-spectrum SPF sunscreen to protect your skin before applying gel polish. There are also special gel manicure gloves you can buy for this exact purpose, and if you're particularly worried, using both SPF and manicure gloves can't hurt.
If you have unhealthy nail beds, weak cuticles, or other concerns, consult your manicurist. They will advise you if gel nails are right for you and what to do best to protect or strengthen your skin and nails.
MOST WANTED SERVICES AT WONDER NAILS & SPA LAS VEGAS
W/ Regular Polish
W/ Gel Polish
Full Set Dip
French or Ombre
Paraffin Wax/Fix 1 Nail
Mini Facial (1/2 hour)
Full Facial (1 hour)
Brows & Lip
Brows & Lip
Big news and a Special offer for all Las Vegas High school students when doing nail services at Wonder Nails & Spa
--The article is collected & edited from the source: S&L Beauty Company (by KIERA CHIN) and Somewhere Lately--